9.24.2009

Let me ask you this...

As promised, I wanted to add 4 good questions to ask yourself when you are trying to figure things out. These can be used for clothes, music, entertainment, and more.

Question #1: What (or with whom) am I associating? There is a perfect example of this in Corinthians, where Paul was dealing with the believers being divided over whether or not they should eat the meat offered to idols. So, you can ask in this case, what is a V-neck shirt generally associated with? These days, the way our culture is, we can not really ask what pants are associated with. Pants are no longer considered rebellious like they once were. But let me just throw this out there, just because the world changes, should we be following close behind? I can't even fully answer this one without my head spinning.

Question #2:Am I controlled by it? I Corinthians 6:12, "All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient (profitable): all things are lawful for me,but I will not be brought under the power of any." So the question is, am I controlled by fashion or what others think? This one is the easiest for me because if you know me, you know I am not fashionable. I am not a shoe girl, or a purse girl. I just want something that is going to make me look thinner... like any other woman. :)

Question #3:Is it edifying to my brothers and sisters in Christ or is it a stumbling block? We see in Romans, verses that fit this perfectly. 15: 1-3a, "We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves. Let every one of us please his neighbor for his (the neighbor's) good to edification. For even Christ pleased not himself..." Also see I Corinthians 8:9. Basically, when making any choice, we need to consider how others will be effected.

Question #4:Does it glorify God? First we need to define "Glorifying God". It is displaying Him and His attributes back to Him in view of others. I Corinthians 10:31, "Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God." Simply said, is what I am wearing reflect who my God is?

To sum up a few things, I would like to say I absolutely believe a woman can glorify God and be wearing pants. I know many MANY strong Christians that differ with me on this topic. That is OK. Because all I am doing is showing everyone why I stand where I do. It has taken a lot of studying and prayer on my part. I did not take this lightly simply for the fact that in 2 years, I didn't want to change my mind.

The question in our family has come up, "What will we do about the girls?" As of right now, they still wear shorts, pants, diapers! :) What we feel is that we want to teach our girls about modesty. And focus a lot on it being a heart issue. We don't feel we want to tell our girls they can not wear pants. But we will have standards. And who knows, down the road this might change. I just pray when they grow up and leave the house, they will take what we have taught them with them and make the decision to wear modest apparel.

I don't think I added this, but I want to say that I believe there are times that pants just need to happen. For instance, I wear pants and sometimes long shorts to the gym. Why? If I was wearing anything else, it would be inappropriate. Also, there are some professions, like medical professions, that ladies are asked to wear scrubs. My mom is actually one of them. I know there is an argument both ways. I am just stating where I stand.

So to conclude my whole modesty discussion, I really want to emphasize that it all comes down to the heart. We are all in different walks in life. We are at different places with the Lord. And it took me YEARS to get where I am at, even after hearing this teaching over and over. Only God can put these things in your heart and if you try to force it, you will end up changing in a few years. If you try to fight it, you will be miserable.

1 comment:

  1. Pilates in a skirt....THAT would be immodest! AS far as looking thinner - skirts hide a MULTITUDE of imperfections - trust me!!:)

    ReplyDelete