9.21.2009

Command Vs. Principle

I would like to start this off by saying I am NO Bible scholar. Far from it. The more I read God's Word, the more I realized I know so little about God. At times I get frustrated, but then I am reminded that one of the greatest gifts God has given us is our ability to learn. Imagine how boring life would be if we knew everything. I had a good friend even tell me she believes we will continue to learn in Heaven. How wonderful that sounds!

As I mentioned in my past blog, my plan is to start tackling some issues in which the Lord has/is dealing with in my life. Before I go into specific areas, I thought it would be wise to share with you some insight I have received from the Bible (and my dear friend, Stephani)on the difference between a Command and a Principle.

A command is very clear. Very black and white in the Bible. It would be hard for anyone to argue their way out of it. The best known commandments are found in Exodus... the 10 Commandments. When it says, "Thou shalt not kill", that is pretty straight forward. Christ even emphasized the first commandment,"Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart..." by saying this was the first and greatest commandment.

The most important commandment in the Bible in regards to our eternal security is found in Acts 17:30, where is says,"... but now (God) commandeth all men every where to repent." I strongly encourage those who haven't to follow this commandment.

So, now that we understand commandment, what is a Principle? This is where is gets a little more tricky. Principles address issues in the Bible that God has chosen to not clearly define. There are many examples, such as, music, dress, movies, and head coverings. (Some people may disagree with me on these, so feel free to comment.)

I believe the principles of God can be confusing, but wonderful as well. Looking at Ephesians 5:18 speaks about being filled with the Spirit. By walking with the Lord, speaking to him daily, or as the verse says, "Speaking to yourselves in psalms...giving thanks always for all things...submitting yourselves...in the fear of the Lord;" we are able to have discernment in these matters.

I think this will all make more sense once I give an example. My next post will be on modesty. And with this "hot topic", I think it will become clearer how God can use specific principles and reveal Himself in people's lives. I know He has used modesty to teach me much. But that is another story...

No comments:

Post a Comment